Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
Tuesday, August 8, 2017 v DRAFT Minutes
7:04 PM meeting at Altadena Community Center (730 E Altadena Dr.)
- Introductions for new attendees: Steve Messer, Rob Staahle, Lori Paul, Marietta Kruells, Zachary Likins (LA County), Kevin Singleton, Kathy Martin, Michell Zack, Linda World, Dennis Merkel (USFS), Dorothy Wong
- Desired adjournment time for this meeting? 8:15 pm
- Decision on meeting Secretary & Recorder of Action Items. Steve Messer
- Review Minutes and Action Items from July meeting. Approved with corrections including spelling of Staehle, and Lauren Pluth.
- County / City / U.S. Government Announcements of any items not covered later on agenda. No new items announced.
- Any serious new trail conditions or problems requiring immediate attention (firsthand reports strongly preferred; photos much appreciated)? Homeless encampments at Millard and Gould Mesa, homeless are disturbing and threatening trail users. FS has a plan to deal with the problems (to be implemented).
- Current Tasks
- Responses to letter regarding recommended trail restoration, corrections & improvements (action from prior meeting and field visit).
- Lincoln Avenue Roadside route from Loma Alta Park South to Altadena drive and from there to Hahamongna Watershed Park; Enhance safety for trail users as well as Aveson Charter Schoolchildren on their daily group walks to and from Loma Alta Park adjacent to traffic on Lincoln. Zack talked to DPW, the easiest way to deal with it is to partner with DPW. DPW Doing feasibility study to place a sidewalk on the eastern side of Lincoln. Funding has not been identified. La Vina developer is asking for a zoning change, a possible source for mitigation funds to apply to this project.
- Proposed Shady Lane connection to the ACT along Loma Alta under existing trees to improve safety for trail and park users, including crosswalk improvements at Sunset Ridge Road. Concept plan for Shady Lane trail was presented by Zack, developed in-house by County. Need to consider watering of trees in our comments, location of crosswalk, stop signs, tree removal.
B. Restore full equestrian use and amenities to Loma Alta Equestrian Park, Trailhead and Staging Area.
a. Remove signs excluding horses from south side of the Equestrian park where the bathroom and drinking fountains are located. Discuss re-opening of small restroom at Trailhead & Staging Area on north side of Loma Alta. Park Superintendent at Loma Alta put up signs so equestrians would be directed to Loma Alta, but this inhibits access to the bathrooms by equestrians and bicycles.
b. Replace dead trees in the Loma Alta Park Trailhead & Staging Area, including the recently killed White Alder (only trunk stump remains). Require adequate care for new and existing shade trees. To be discussed on 9/5 site visit along with picnic tables.
c. Move concrete picnic tables out of direct sun to shade under trees or provide shade armadas over the tables. To be discussed on 9/5 site visit along with picnic tables.
- Other Old Business
- Pinecrest Gate. Gate was removed last Thursday, and some of the chainlink and razorwire has been removed today. Gate was on County property, not on Pasadena property. Two Pasadena Water supervisors Norman Lara and Vince Zamavoa were there to take down the gate. Kevin cleaned up debris, while a second crew arrived to continue removing material. If any problems, need to report them. County needs to get a written statement from Chris Klippert relinquishing control of the gate.
- Other New Business
- This group needs to become engaged in the One Arroyo planning process.
- Review of Task List for next meeting
- Organize site visit to determine where to move two picnic tables in Loma Alta Park. Site visit tentatively scheduled for 9/5/2017 at noon.
- Zack to determine if parking restrictions on Pinecrest are county-approved.
- Dennis to send a letter to County Parks supporting removal of Pinecrest Gate.
- Kevin to email Mitch to ask him to preserve list of people trapped by Pinecrest gate.
- Kevin to write a thank you letter to Phyllis Currie formerly of Pasadena Water & Power
- Select a date to celebrate Pinecrest opening at the trailhead
- Compile and submit comments on the proposed Shady Lane trail by August 22nd.
- Zack to email a digital copy of the Shady Lane design proposal
- Upcoming Events: The next ACTRWG meeting falls on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 (2nd Tuesday of each month, unless cancellation is announced, 7pm at the Altadena Community Center).
- Adjourned at 8:21 p.m.