Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
Tuesday 2017 April 11 – DRAFT Minutes
7:00 PM meeting at Altadena Community Center (730 E Altadena Dr.)
0. Attendees: Steve Messer, Rob Staahle, Kevin Singleton, Lori Paul
1. Desired adjournment time for this meeting? 8 pm
2. Decision on meeting Secretary & Recorder of Action Items. Steve Messer
3. Review Minutes and Action Items from March meeting (thank you Steve Messer!). Approved unanimously.
4. County / City / U.S. Government Announcements of any items not covered later on agenda. No report. There is talk of the Forest Service divesting itself of Cobb Estate, and negotiations are apparently underway with the County and other potential partners.
5. Any serious new trail conditions or problems requiring immediate attention (firsthand reports strongly preferred; photos much appreciated)?
1) Mitch Marich: Canon to Cobb Estate trail conditions report submitted in March; no response from Zachary Likins/LA Co. Park & Rec.
2) Mitch Marich notes there are many slides and some cross trail ruts on segment from Eaton Canyon to Zane Grey but have not had time to write a formal report.
3) Chaney Trail to end has been graded.
6. Current Tasks
A. Letter regarding Crib Trail (action from prior meeting). Draft letter was reviewed. Recommendation to submit letter and follow up with a meeting.
B. New (and inaccurate) signage posted by County. Letter in 6A covers inaccurate signage.
C. eBikes: do we have concerns and/or a recommendation to County? Steve Messer
Increased use of e-mountain bikes on local trails (USFS and County). The USFS considers all e-bike classes to be “motorized;” therefore, e-mountain bikes are permitted only on motorized OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) trails on Federal land, not on multi-use nonmotorized trails. See USFS determination letter. We need to request clarification for County trails. California AB1146 made e-bikes legal for use on roads, and also on trails if the land manager has not taken action to prohibit them.
D. Major Objectives for 2017
i. Construct La Vina Trails.
ii. Construct Rubio Canyon Gateway trails.
iii. Re-Grading to new County standards on vulnerable trail segments
iv. Restore Crib Trail Segment N. of Gymnasium (see 6.A. above) – Trailhead has been placed in the wrong place, draft letter written to County outlining the problems with the trail and associated signage; draft letter approved.
v. Restore driveable-in-emergency fire road from Millard Campground to the top of Lincoln Ave.
vi. Remove encroachment at 3636 Skylane Drive on Canon. Update: the trail is being blocked by sweepings from the property owner’s stable.
vii. Get 200’ fence in compliance from segment of ACT above Windfall Ave. No update.
viii. Create well-marked and publicized trail hub/junction in Hahamongna Watershed Park.
E. Ongoing Projects:
i. Acquire Easement to close Skylane Gap from Penny’s barn to Fair Oaks Ave (through Zorthian property)
ii. Restore driveable-in-emergency Brown Mountain fire road from top of Lincoln to Arroyo Seco ranger residence
iii. Remove “dropped” (abandoned) pipe on Chaney Trail, from Coulter reservoir to Chaney Trail. Does
not have a County easement, unknown if it is a FS trail: LAWC Board meeting coming up. Suggestion to attend the board meeting.
iv. Replace dying Coulter Pines at the Loma Alta staging area. Proposed “shady lane” connection for the ACT along Loma Alta under existing trees to improve safety for trail and park users.
v. Sign trails for “no hunting”
vi. Open Pinecrest gate to the public 24/7
vii. Restore water amenities and trough at West Coulter Reservoir
7. Other Old Business
8. Other New Business
i. Cobb Estate Rumors: Is the USFS attempting to divest its interest in Cobb Estate? If so, what’s the plan?
ii. Develop agenda for meeting with Sussy Nemer
9. Review of Task List for next meeting
1) Set up a meeting with Sussy Nemer/Zach Likens to cover Crib Trail, trail map inconsistencies and omissions, proposed shady trail.
2) Enquire about County policies on E-bikes. (Steve)
10. Upcoming Events: The next ACTRWG meeting falls on Tuesday, 2017 May 9 (2nd Tuesday of each month, unless cancellation is announced, 7pm at the Altadena Community Center).
11. Adjourned at 8:00 p.m.