Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
Tuesday, March 14, 2017 DRAFT Agenda
Altadena Community Center, 730 E Altadena Dr., Altadena, California
0. Attendees: Steve Messer, Marietta Kruells, Mitch Marich
1. Desired Adjournment time for this meeting? 8 pm
2. Decision on meeting Secretary & recorder of action items. Steve Messer will serve as secretary.
3. Review Minutes and action items from December meeting. Minutes were approved without
4. County/City/U.S. Government announcements: No reports. Check with Dennis about returning
to meeting. His presence is needed.
5. Any serious new trail conditions or problems: CORBA/MWBA removed downed trees from
Gabrielino, Sunset Ridge and Sunset Ridge. Mitch has inspected the trail from Eaton Canyon to
Zane Gray and from Cobb Estate to Canon, and from Chaney Trail to Sunset Ridge Road since the
big storms. Both the easternmost and westernmost segments have serious erosion, deep ruts,
undermined drains and slides that partially block the trail. Major maintenance is needed. Bench
above Cobb Estate has been repainted, hiding graffiti.
6. Current Tasks:
a. Major Objectives for 2017
i. Construct La Vina Trails.
ii. Construct Rubio Canyon Gateway trails.
iii. Re-Grading to new County standards on vulnerable trail segments
iv. Restore Crib Trail Segment N. of Gymnasium
v. Restore driveable-in-emergency fire road from Millard Campground to the top
of Lincoln Ave.
vi. Remove encroachment at 3636 Skylane Drive on Canon. Update: the trail is
being blocked by sweepings from the property owner’s stable.
vii. Get 200’ fence in compliance from segment of ACT above Windfall Ave. No
viii. Create well-marked and publicized trail hub/junction in Hahamongna
b. Ongoing projects:
i. Acquire Easement to close Skylane Gap from Penny’s barn to Fair Oaks Ave
(through Zorthian property) ii. Restore driveable-in-emergency Brown Mountain fire road from top of Lincoln
to Arroyo Seco ranger residence
iii. Remove “dropped” (abandoned) pipe on Chaney Trail, from Coulter reservoir to
Chaney Trail. Does not have a County easement, unknown if it is a FS trail:
LAWC Board meeting coming up. Suggestion to attend the board meeting.
iv. Replace dying Coulter Pines at the Loma Alta staging area.
v. Sign trails for “no hunting”
vi. Open Pinecrest gate to the public 24/7
vii. Restore water amenities and trough at West. Coulter Reservoir
7. Other Old Business.
8. Other New Business.
9. Review of task list for the next meeting.
Task List carried from previous meeting: Lori will call Graham about LAWC pipeline. Robert E. to
look for Skylane gap easement in Sapphos report. Marietta will connect Arron and Rosa to
discuss Hahamonga Hub. Suggest attending Hahamonga Watershed Park Advisory Council
10. Upcoming events: The next ACTRWG meeting falls on Tuesday, April 11, 2017.
11. Adjourned at 7:25.