Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
7:00 PM, Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Altadena Community Center, 730 E Altadena Drive
Meeting Minutes – Draft
1. Introductions for new attendees.
Mitch Marich, Robert Staehle, Lori Paul, Steve Messer, Dennis Merkel (USFS), Marietta Kruells.
2. Desired adjournment time for this meeting? 7:45
3. Decision on meeting Secretary & Recorder of Action Items. Steve Messer
4. Review Minutes and Action Items from June meeting (thank you Steve Messer!). Approved unanimously.
5. County / City / U.S. Government Announcements of any items not covered later on agenda. USFS: Dennis reported that: court settlement is finalized, so adventure passes are being reinstated according to the terms of the settlement. Fee areas include toilets, trash, parking, signs, picnic tables, information kiosk, patrols, and/or trailheads. Fee areas are within a half mile of these amenities. Identified by yellow and blue “US Fee Area” signs.
National Public Lands Day is on September 24, but a volunteer service event will be held on September 20 at Chantry Flat.
A pilot shuttle program will be run from Arcadia Gold Line Station to Chantry Flat on September 24 (National Public Lands Day), and 25, then October 1 and 2, and October 8 and 9. The shuttle is free, no reservations are required.
6. Any serious new trail conditions or problems requiring immediate attention (first-hand reports strongly preferred; photos much appreciated)? No new emergencies, but Mitch reports that somebody put in a bypass on Sunset Ridge trail, just above the cabins, that avoids the steep steps. The new route seems to be preferred by the public, but is unofficial. Keith, the former campground host at Millard has moved on, and a new host is now there, Steve Sims, transferred from Gould Mesa..
7. Current Tasks
a) Fire Season Road Maintenenace: Maintenance budgets are being cut, and fewer roads will be maintained in the coming fiscal year. Contact the Forest Service Engineer to request a road be maintained.
b) Re-grading to new County standards for erosion control on vulnerable ACT segments. Mitch is putting together a report including where maintenance is needed along the ACT.
c) Update re: New fence erected along ~200-foot segment of ACT above Windfall Ave (E. of Rubio Gap and Stonehill). No new reports. Still need to determine whether the fence is on the easement or on the private property.
d) DPW Devil’s Gate Reservoir (Hahamongna Watershed Park) / ACT Trailhead / Recreation impacts? There is a Fifth District Supervisor’s Candidate Debate on the issue, Thursday, September 15, 7 pm, Creveling Lounge – Pasadena City College, 1570 East Colorado Blvd., Pasadena.
e) La Vina litigation resolved: One of Marietta’s attorneys in the case has since retired. No new reports.
f) Rubio Cyn Gateway trail planning status. No new updates.
g) Update on locked Pinecrest Gate. No changes to report.
h) Old Crib Trail, now disappeared from County ACT maps and web site. At a previous meeting we found that the historic Crib trail between Sunset Ridge and Lincoln has been removed from maps and the County trails web site, though it still exists on the ground. Motion made and approved: Send a written request to the County, to reinstate the Crib Trail into the County’s trail inventory, and bring it back up to County trail standards. Include that we were promised a route around what is now the site of the Gymnasium on the west side of Sunset Ridge Road.
i) Loma Alta Trailhead & Staging Area. Drinking fountain needs to be repaired. Horse trough has been replaced, but not with the optimal design. Coulter pines and walnut in the staging area and catch basin are dying. They need larger basins. Irrigation tubing has been replaced, but the basins around the trees are not large enough. There is a bathroom in the parking lot that is not functional, and would serve the trailhead and the equestrian community.
8. Other Old Business: Motion made to Draft a letter regarding the Lincoln Ave Water Company pipe on Chaney trail to Ranger Blount.
9. Other New Business: San Gabriel Mountains National Monument Management Plan public meetings are being held this week. Public comments are due by October 17.
- Review of Task List for next meeting
- Mitch to complete maintenance needs report for Olga.
- Marietta: Send a written request to reinstate the Crib Trail into the County’s trail inventory, and bring it back up to County trail standards. Include that we were promised a route around what is now the site of the Gymnasium on the west side of Sunset Ridge Road.
- Steve: Draft a letter regarding the Lincoln Ave Water Company pipe on Chaney trail to Ranger Blount.
- For future reference, need to give at least 24 hours to the County notice if a meeting will be cancelled.
- Dennis to write a report outlining the status of item 7C, the chainlink fence along ACT.
Carried over from last month:
- Lori and Marietta to write a letter about Loma Alta Park.
- Lori will update fire education brochures and signs out for 4th of July.
- Design a sign to be used to educate the public on fire safety for 4th of July.
- Olga to ask Rudy Valenzuela, head of trails crew, when he is planning to come back to the ACT, to help coordinate repairs with this group.
- Mitch will compile a report of trail conditions for Olga to pass on to the maintenance crew.
- Olga was to supply a map of the Loma Alta Park.
- Rob will look for a copy of the sale agreement between Sameer Etman and AFC, including conditions of the sale requiring a trail easement be granted.
- Olga to check with DPW about the Pinecrest gate and the road right-of-way.
11. Upcoming Events: The Next ACTRWG meeting will be Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at the Altadena Community Center.
12. Adjourned at: 7:58 pm.