Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
7:00 PM meeting at Altadena Community Center
(730 E Altadena Dr.)
1. Introductions for new attendees.
2. Desired adjournment time for this meeting?
3. Decision on meeting Secretary & Recorder of Action Items.
4. Review Minutes and Action Items from April meeting (thank you Steve Messer!).
5. County / City / U.S. Government Announcements of any items not covered later on agenda. Sussy Nemer / Field Deputy for LA County Supervisor Antonovich; Ken Slu / Senior Manager LA County Chief Executive Office; Olga Ruano / Park Planner, Special Trails Projects, County Parks & Recreation; Pasadena / TBD; Dennis Merkel / USFS Recreation Staff Officer
6. Any serious new trail conditions or problems requiring immediate attention (firsthand reports strongly preferred; photos much appreciated)?
7, Current Tasks
a, Fire Season Preparation: Maintain fire roads / trails for Fire Dept. access (cooperation between County & USFS), crew staging, and emergency evacuation routes. Plan 4th of July closures / public education. Olga Ruano / LA County, Dennis Merkel / USFS Recreation Staff Officer
b. Re-grading to new County standards for erosion control on vulnerable ACT segments. Progress? Robert Staehle / ACTRWG
c. Update re: New fence erected along ~200-foot segment of ACT above Windfall Ave (E. of Rubio Gap and Stonehill). Fence blocks obstructs drainage culverts and the view to south from the trail. Policy changes to prevent future fence / wall obstructions? Olga Ruano / LA County, Dennis Merkel / USFS
d. DPW Devil’s Gate Reservoir (Hahamongna Watershed Park) / ACT Trailhead / Recreation impacts? Arroyo Seco Foundation Litigation? JPL / NASA Security Gates Project? Marietta Kruells or Lori Paul
e. La Vina litigation resolved: Update & resumption of trail planning. Marietta Kruells, Olga Ruano / LA County
f. Rubio Cyn Gateway trail planning status / discussion with AFC. Olga Ruano / LA County
g. Update on locked Pinecrest Gate. Mitch Marich or Paul Ayers
8 Other Old Business
9. Other New Business
- Review of Task List for next meeting
- Upcoming Events: The next ACTRWG meeting falls on Tuesday, 2016 June 14 (2nd Tuesday of each month, unless cancellation is announced, 7pm at the Altadena Community Center).
ACONA 24 May Meeting, 7:00-8:30pm at ACC Re: “Traffic, Bike & Pedestrian Safety in Altadena” with speakers from CHP (Capt. Steve Strull, Officer Mike Ulloa, and Officer Phil Cooper) and Altadena Sheriffs (Capt. Vicki Stuckey & Lt. Rob Lewis) / Also, “Fire Danger is Early this Year” re: Fire laws; property preparation; who to call re: overgrown shrubs, piles of kindling, etc.