Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
Tuesday January 12, 2016, 7:00 PM
Altadena Community Center (730 E Altadena Dr.)
0. Introductions for new attendees. Meetings are open to the public.
1. Desired adjournment time for this meeting?
2. Decision on meeting Secretary & Recorder of Action Items. Thank you Steve Messer for both chairing and taking minutes at November meeting!
3. Review Minutes and Action Items from last meeting.
4. County / City / U.S. Government Announcements of any items not covered later on agenda. Sussy Nemer / Field Deputy for LA County Supervisor Antonovich; Ken Slu / Senior Manager LA County Chief Executive Office; Olga Ruano / Park Planner, Special Trails Projects, County Parks & Recreation; Pasadena / TBD; Dennis Merkel / USFS Recreation Staff Officer
5. Any serious new trail conditions or problems requiring immediate attention (firsthand reports strongly preferred; photos much appreciated)?
6. Current Tasks
A. Re-grading to new County standards for erosion control on vulnerable ACT segments before predicted major El Nino winter. Robert Staehle/ACTRWG, Olga Ruano/LA County
B. Emergency acquisition of bear-proof food boxes for 5 sites in Millard Cyn Campground. Lori Paul, John Grancich, Dennis Merkel. Recent “bear encounters” due to unsecure food puts campers, trail users, and bears at risk. Update: Scout installation of first bear locker; plans for individual site lockers?
C. Fence illegally erected along ~200-foot segment of ACT above Windfall Ave (E of Rubio Gap and Stonehill? Fence blocks obstructs drainage culverts and the view to south from the trail. Olga Ruano /LA County, Dennis Merkel/USFS
D. DPW Devil’s Gate Reservoir (Hahamamongna Watershed Park) / ACT Trailhead / Recreation impacts? Arroyo Seco Foundation LItigation? Marietta Kruells or Lori Paul
E. Status of proposed 18 New Homes (so-called “La Vina II”) on school site, though developer has failed to build the required public trail (restoration of the ACT). Marietta Kruells or Lori Paul La Vina litigation resolved: update & resumption of trail planning. See “C” above. Olga Ruano/LA County
F. Rubio Cyn Gateway trail planning status. Olga Ruano /LA County
Update on locked Pinecrest Gate. (Mitch Marich or Paul Ayers)
7. Other Old Business
8. Other New Business
9. Review of Task List for next meeting
10. Upcoming Events: The next ACTRWG meeting falls on Tuesday, 2016 January 12 (2nd Tuesday of each month, unless cancellation is announced, 7pm at the Altadena Community Center).