Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group (ACTRWG) Steering Committee
…from Arroyo Seco to Eaton Canyon
Tuesday 2016 March 8
7:00 PM meeting at Altadena Community Center (730 E Altadena Dr.)
0. Introductions for new attendees.
1. Desired adjournment time for this meeting?
2. Decision on meeting Secretary & Recorder of Action Items.
3. Review Minutes and Action Items from January meeting (the February meeting was cancelled).
4. County / City / U.S. Government Announcements of any items not covered later on agenda. Sussy Nemer / Field Deputy for LA County Supervisor Antonovich; Ken Slu / Senior Manager LA County Chief Executive Office; Olga Ruano / Park Planner, Special Trails Projects, County Parks & Recreation; Pasadena / TBD; Dennis Merkel / USFS Recreation Staff Officer; Bob Blount / USFS District Ranger.
5. Any serious new trail conditions or problems requiring immediate attention (firsthand reports strongly preferred; photos much appreciated)?
6. Current Tasks
A. Tentative plan for expanded child care facility along ACT, 3636 Skylane Drive. Lori Paul
B. Re-grading to new County standards for erosion control on vulnerable ACT segments before predicted major El Nino rains. Robert Staehle / ACTRWG, Olga Ruano / LA County
C. Emergency acquisition of bear-proof food boxes for 5 sites in Millard Cyn Campground. Lori Paul, John Grancich, Dennis Merkel. Recent “bear encounters” due to unsecure food puts campers, trail users, and bears at risk. Update: Scout installation of first bear locker; plans for more individual site lockers?
D. Any update re: New fence erected along ~200-foot segment of ACT above Windfall Ave (E. of Rubio Gap and Stonehill). Fence blocks obstructs drainage culverts and the view to south from the trail. Olga Ruano / LA County, Dennis Merkel / USFS
E. DPW Devil’s Gate Reservoir (Hahamongna Watershed Park) / ACT Trailhead / Recreation impacts? Arroyo Seco Foundation Litigation? JPL / NASA Security Gates Project? Marietta Kruells or Lori Paul
F. La Vina litigation resolved: update & resumption of trail planning. Marietta Kruells, Olga Ruano / LA County
G. Rubio Cyn Gateway trail planning status / discussion with AFC. Olga Ruano / LA County
H. Update on locked Pinecrest Gate. Mitch Marich or Paul Ayers
7. Other Old Business
8. Other New Business
9. Review of Task List for next meeting
10. Upcoming Events: The next ACTRWG meeting falls on Tuesday, 2016 April 12 (2nd Tuesday of each month, unless cancellation is announced, 7pm at the Altadena Community Center).